A lovie is a stuffed animal or blanket that is your baby’s best friend. Think of a lovie as a surrogate you. It is you when you are not around. Most importantly, it is you when your little one wakes up in the middle of the night, and instead of crying out for Mama, looks around, sees his/her stuffy, smells and holds it close to them, and falls back to sleep. It also provides comfort to your little one when they are at daycare or when you travel.
A lovie or blanket should be soft and introduced to your baby once he/she is able to roll over. The reason is that if you little one doesn’t have the arm strength to roll over, they also won’t have the strength to push the lovie off of them. It also shouldn’t have eyes or buttons your little one can chew off. There should be nothing on the lovie that your baby could choke on.
However, once your little one is rolling over, this is the perfect time to introduce a lovie. As I mentioned above, the idea for introducing a love is that this will become your little one’s best friend and will help him/her fall asleep and stay asleep. Also please make sure that you don’t lose it. You may want to invest in a few of them, just in case.
HOW DO YOU INTRODUCE A LOVIE?
The best time to introduce a lovie to your baby is when he/she is feeding. Pick a soft plush animal or blanket, rub it on your chest (it will smell like you and comfort your baby) and then while your baby is feeding have it near them. Then afterward give it a name and really play up the lovie. You want your baby to fall in love with this lovie and have it become his/her best friend, so that when you aren’t around like in the middle of the night or at naps, he/she will be comforted by it.
Have the lovie around all the time. When your baby is playing, have the lovie play with them. When they are eating, have the lovie beside them. Whenever possible, have the lovie with your baby. It will help your baby develop a bond with it.
A lovie can be a stuffed animal or a blanket. It can be anything you think your baby will get attached to. Either one of these mentioned above would make a great lovie. Please ensure that before introducing a lovie to your baby that he/she is rolling over independently. If they are unable to roll over, then please wait, otherwise, there is an increased risk for suffocation.
Anything to help your little one sleep through the night, in a safe manner, of course. You will see that as your baby grows, he/she will rely on their lovie and it
The stress of losing it
My Mikale is 8 years old and has slept every night since he was five months old with “bubba”. He initially had two- “Mommy bubba” and “Daddy Bubba”, and he slept with them every night up until 3 years ago, when we returned from a weekend at West Edmonton Mall without “Mommy bubba”. I called the hotel, the restaurants, and the waterpark and no one could find “Mommy bubba”. He was devastated and it took a few weeks of hard nights for him to adjust to life with just one lovie. To save this anguish, we tell parents to buy two of the same so if you lose one, you can replace it. The only challenge is children know how their lovie feels, the texture, where it is wearing, and how it smells. A new one often won’t do the job. Then I found Roe Roe and Co! This brilliant company makes adorable, soft lovies that are trackable! If I had had this one, I could have found Mikale’s lovie and our problem would have been solved! Check them out here!
Roe Roe and Co has been so gracious to give us 4 trackable lovies to giveaway!
- Click on the Rafflecopter box below.
- First, log in using either your e-mail address or with your Facebook account. Make sure that both are active as this is our only way of contacting you to let you know if you’ve won!
- After you have logged into Rafflecopter you will find today’s giveaway. Below the photo of what we are giving away, you will find prompts on how to enter (example: “Visit and Like Brand on Facebook”)
- Click on the prompt and once you click the entry requirement your entry will be logged.
- All of our giveaways run for the duration of the 12 Days and winners will be announced on February 1st in this post within the Rafflecopter box below.
- Each giveaway will be considered its own separate giveaway, so make sure you enter and follow all official giveaway guidelines for each one during our 12 Days of January Giveaway.
- All winners will be contacted via e-mail
- All official giveaway rules can be found here.