Overheating is a worry that many parents experience with their baby. Keeping your baby cool at night is one way that the American Academy of Pediatrics and Health Canada recommends to reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). Keeping this in mind, it is possible that babies can feel chilly at night, especially in the winter, and this will often present as frequent wake-ups and early risers.
Your baby has a brand new circulatory system that is developing. This can mean her hands and feet feel cool to the touch when you check on her in the night. This does not mean she is cold necessarily. Instead, feel the back of her neck with the back of your hand. If she is cool to the touch, she needs another layer. If she is sweaty, she is too warm.
The ideal temperature for a baby’s room is between 19 and 21 degrees/ 67 and 70F. Your baby should be sleeping in a cotton (or fleece if its cold outside) and a sleep sack based on the TOG recommendations. “TOG” is an international unit of measurement in the textile industry. Asleep sack with a low TOG value is best for hot climates or summer weather (similar to muslin) and 2.5 TOG is the warmest sleep sack you can purchase (recommended for cool climates and winter weather). Health Canada recommends avoiding loose blankets as this may increase the risks of SIDS.
Keeping your baby warm at night will help your baby to sleep more comfortably and avoid unnecessary wakeups. When you think about what it feels like to be chilly when you’re sleeping, it makes sense that babies will wake more often if the conditions for sleeping are too cold. The Mama Coach looks at your sleep environment with every assessment to ensure baby’s space is optimal for connecting sleep cycles.
When we are chilly in the night, we roll over, pulling our comforter up around our face. Comforting us, dangerous for babies. Sleep sacks are the safest way to keep your baby warm as they stay put, decreasing the risk of strangulation and suffocation.
Follow the steps below to win!
- Click on the Rafflecopter box below.
- First, log in using either your e-mail address or with your Facebook account. Make sure that both are active as this is our only way of contacting you to let you know if you’ve won!
- After you have logged into Rafflecopter you will find today’s giveaway. Below the photo of what we are giving away, you will find prompts on how to enter (example: “Visit and Like Brand on Facebook”)
- Click on the prompt and once you click the entry requirement your entry will be logged.
- All of our giveaways run for the duration of the 12 Days and winners will be announced on February 1st in this post within the Rafflecopter box below.
- Each giveaway will be considered its own separate giveaway, so make sure you enter and follow all official giveaway guidelines for each one during our 12 Days of January Giveaway.
- All winners will be contacted via e-mail
- All official giveaway rules can be found here.