You just got the call and heard the words “you have gestational diabetes!” You are wondering how this could have happened? What did you do wrong? I first want to say that this was not your fault! Gestational diabetes happens due to increased insulin resistance because of the pregnancy hormones that are now circulating in your body. Insulin is what helps drive sugar into your cells. When you have insulin resistance, that sugar circulating in your blood now can’t get into the cells, and stays in your blood. This causes high blood sugar. The good news is that most women can manage their blood sugar with diet and exercise and 90% of the time it will go away after the baby is born!
I know pregnant mamas can be busy and on the go! So today I want to share some yummy snack ideas that will help you not feel hungry and won’t spike your blood sugar!
Apple Slices and Almond Butter
This is such a quick and easy snack that you can bring on the go! Carbs will raise your blood sugar, that is just what they do, but the cool thing is when you combine them with a protein it will help for your sugar not to spike as high. So don’t just eat an apple by itself, be sure to add your favorite nut butter or other protein to help combat that blood sugar spike.
- ½ Apple: Carbs 10 and Calories 40
- 2 Tbsp of Almond Butter: Carbs 7 Calories 210
Total: Carbs 17 and 250 calories
Hummus is another easy on the go snack. Ready-made containers make busy life easy or pop 2 Tbsp into your own travel container and bring wherever you go. Hummus is a creamy and full flavor spread made from chickpeas, tahini, and garlic. Since chickpeas are in the legume family they are considered complex carbs. Complex carbs will turn into sugar more slowly as compared to simple carbs like juice and table sugar. This is a good thing when trying to prevent blood sugar spikes! My favorites to drip in hummus are carrots, bell peppers and even top your hummus on whole-grain or nut crackers.
- 2 Tbsp of Hummus: Carbs 6 Calories 50
- 1 Medium Carrot: Carbs 6 Calories 25
- 1 Medium Bell Pepper: Carb 7 Calories 37
- 6 Almond Nut-Thin Crackers: Carbs 8 Calories 40
Baked Cheese Crisps
Are you a cheese lover? Then check out baked cheese crisps from brands like Moon Cheese who have flavors like Garlickin’ Paremeasan and Cello with Pure Parmesan Whisps. Get your crunchy and salty fix without the carbs!
- 14 pieces of Moon Cheese Garlickin’ Parmesan: Carbs 2 Calories 160
- 15 crisps of Cello Parmesan Cheese Whisps: Carbs <1 Calories 100
Plain Greek Yogurt and Berries
1 cup of plain greek yogurt topped with some fresh berries is another great option in combining fruit with a protein. Strawberries, raspberries and blackberries are lower in net carbs as compared to blueberries and other fruits, so consider trying them as your toppings!
- 1 5.3 oz Chobani Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt: Carbs 6 Calories 80
- ¼ cup of mixed berries: Carbs 3 Calories 50
Sugar-Free Dark Chocolate Hot Cocoa
Fall and cooler weather is approaching and a warm cup of dark hot cocoa can be the perfect thing to help curb your chocolate cravings! I love chocolate, but a candy bar is not going to be a good choice when trying to manage your blood sugar! Using a nut milk like almond milk will drastically decrease your net carbs as compared to low fat cow’s milk. Make your own hot cocoa mix using 1 Tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 packet of Stevia. Wisk together in a saucepan and pour over your almond milk. Even add a 1 tsp of vanilla extract for added flavor! You can also find ready-made sugar free options at your local grocery store!
- 1 Cup of Unsweetened Almond Milk: Carbs 1.4 Calories 37
- 1 Cup of Low Fat Milk: Carbs 12 Calories 110
- 1 Tbsp of Unsweetened Cocoa Poweder by Ghiradelli: Carbs 2 Calories 15
- 1 Stevia Packet: Carbs 1 Calories 0
Sugar-Free Raspberry Jello and Whipped Cream
Looking for a dessert that will satisfy your sweet tooth without going overboard on your blood sugar? Check out this recipe here that uses unflavored gelatin packets, a keto-friendly sweetener like monkfruit, and raspberries that will blow your mind! Top it with a sugar-free whipped cream and you have a yummy dessert even your partner will want some!
- ½ Cup of Homemade Sugar-Free Raspberry Jello: Carbs 2 Calories 48
- Store Bought Sugar Free Jello: Carbs 0 Calories 10
- 2 Tbps of Sugar Free Cool Whip: Carbs 3 Calories 20